Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Healthier Brownies!

Image

Today I did something I have never done before. I made up my own recipe. Not only did I make up my own recipe for the first time, but by some miracle, it turned out! I made a healthier version of brownies. Now, I am not sure you should go eating a dozen of these, but they are certainly better for you than your average brownie! The sugar is replaced by honey, and the butter is replaced by avocado. Some of the egg is replaced by Greek yogurt. I didn't feel quite as guilty licking the entire bowl clean. I just couldn't help myself!

Now, to the recipe! (Click here for a printable recipe.) Makes approximately 9 small brownies

Ingredients:

  • 4 ounces of melted semi-sweet chocolate chips

  • 1 mashed avocado (The better mashed, the less likely people will know it is in there!)

  • 1 egg

  • ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt

  • 1/8 cup of honey

  • 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder

  • 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1 tsp vanilla

  • 1/8 cup skim milk


Directions:

  • Whisk together the egg and the honey


Egg and Honey

  • Melt the chocolate and gradually add to the egg/honey mixture


Egg, Honey, & Chocolate Chips

  • Stir in the whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla

  • Stir in the mashed avocado until you can barely see/not see at all


IMAG0990

  • Add the skim milk

  • Pour into a square baking pan


IMAG0992

  • Bake at 325 for 20 - 25 minutes

  • Allow to cool completely before cutting

  • Enjoy!


With Coffee

Even though these brownies have some healthier substitutions for ingredients, I think they turned out delicious. I am not sure I would know the difference if I hadn't made them myself! The Greek yogurt gave the brownies a nice fudgey texture, which I prefer in my brownies. Also, make sure to mash the avocado as best you can. The less you can see the green specs, the less questions any potential eaters will have.

Healthier Brownies Nutrition Facts


Hopefully you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. Remember this is my first attempt at making my own recipe, so be kind! Do you have any healthier substitutes for baked goods? I would love to here them!

signature

150-x-150-Show-and-Share-Overhaulcit2

No comments:

Post a Comment