Friday, August 23, 2013

Running Clubs!

Image

You might be wondering what a mimosa has to do with running. Well, let me tell you. I recently moved to a new state and was looking to meet some new people. The standard advice is to join some sort of club. And...that is some good advice!

After scouring the internet, running club websites, and Facebook groups, I found a women's running group in my area. It sounded fantastic! I worked up the courage and showed up to the first meeting. I knew from that first meeting that this was the group for me. The ladies were all positive, upbeat, and passionate about running. They rejuvenated my love of running and motivated me to train harder. Best of all...they served mimosas after the run. I think I will be a lifetime member!

If all that was not perfect enough, I found someone training for the same race as me, (my first 10-miler!) that runs the same pace as me! Was I dreaming? Fortunately, not! 

Since joining the club, I have nearly doubled my mileage, and I noticed today that my mile pace had improved by almost 15 seconds! 

ImageWhile solo runs are great for reflection and some much needed "me" time, I also like the social aspects and motivation of group and partner runs. A little of both seems to be the perfect balance for me.

Are you in any running clubs? Do you have a great running partner? How did you meet them?

Image

Image

10 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome! I'm moving next week and I think I will try to find a running club to join too as a way to meet new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely recommend it! I have met some really great people through mine! Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I'd be in that club too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running clubs and partners make running so much more fun! The thought of running a marathon always daunted me, until I had a running partner. All of a sudden long runs were a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on joining a running club! I LOVE my local track club! It's amazing to have fun people to keep you motivated, be a resource for questions, and (the fun part) socializing afterwards. Running is fun when you know you're going to meet up with friends, have a fun run, and grab food/drinks afterwards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are exactly right! It makes running more fun, and I feel so inspired by everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great to hear! The other running club members are already motivating me to sign up for longer distance races!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooking up with like minded people when you are new in town is a must I think. Having at least one common bond makes meeting people so much easier (and more relaxed).
    Very cool that you found a partner at your pace! I also very much like having a running partner (I don't at the moment but have for most of my running) as it really gets you out of bed if you know that someone is waiting for you to run and having someone to talk with can make the miles go by a lot faster. Currently I am just focusing on my next big race at the end of the year (my first 24 Hour) and it motivates me enough I guess to run alone.
    I am joining in on a race this Sunday and know a lot of the runners so it will be cool to have some people to talk with during it (it is a 6 Hour and 12 Hour).
    Best of luck in your new State!

    Chris
    http://www.mavrocatstrength.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. A running partner helps keep you accountable, especially on those morning where it is hard to get up! I hope you enjoy your race on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete